Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Who Killed Jimmy Hoffa?

I read an article today about the latest FBI investigations into who killed Jimmy Hoffa, the infamous leader of the Teamsters back in the 1970's. There have been several former mob hitman and members in recent years who have made deathbed claims (that later went on to be published in best selling books for those conspiracy lovers among us) to have killed Hoffa in various ways that were often recounted in fantastic details. Some of the theories believe "that Hoffa was buried in the end zone at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., under the New Jersey Turnpike or under various plots of land in New York and New Jersey." Currently the FBI is digging in some farmland in Michigan. For a man who was legally declared dead in 1982, it is remarkable the time and money that is still invested into solving the mystery of his demise.

What I think I find most remarkable, however, is the fact that numerous people have attempted to take credit for his murder. Obviously, at most, only one of them has told the truth. Nonetheless, whether it was for notoriety, money (in bestsellers), or fame, several have simply made up stories.

But since the trend seems to be numerous people making confessions for past crimes, let me do so also. In Matthew 16:24, Jesus says, "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me." Now, take up his cross is to essentially kill oneself. Paul echoes this in Galatians 2:20: "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." So here is my confession (though, unlike so many in the news with Hoffa, mine is the truth): I have killed myself...or rather, allowed God to do so.

So what does it mean to be dead? Well, what can a dead person do for himself? Unless you are a sci-fi fan or believe in zombies, the answer is simple- not much. In fact, you can't do anything. Period. So if you put yourself to death, you can't do anything. You are absolutely helpless to follow any will but God's will. But as scripture says, God's power is made perfect (evident and fully displayed) in our weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9-10). Once there was a great All-American football player at Texas A&M named Joe Boyd. He was an offensive tackle during A&M's run to the national title in 1939 and was later drafted by the Washington Redskins. God, however, had a different use for him and called him to preach, turning his back on a great football career. As a result of him denying himself, Joe Boyd became a great evangelist and thousands and thousands of people will be in heaven someday because of him. He himself talks about this in his book, From the Gridiron to the Gospel. If he hadn't listened to God, if he hadn't killed himself, he might be in the NFL Hall of Fame. However, he will now be in the Spiritual Hall of Fame (read Hebrews 11). Personally, I'd prefer the later.

So there it is; I'm a killer. And praise God, He is too when I'm too weak to do so. I heard the quote once, "Sometimes God has to break both our legs to get us on our knees." Think of that the next time you feel He has left you. But then again, don't listen to me, listen to God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home