Monday, June 12, 2006

Armstrong - The Race He's Not In

With the not-so recent news of Lance Armstrong's vindication from the allegations of drug use, I was reminded of a conversation that I had with a buddy of mine that sparked some heated debate. I noticed that he was one of the growing number of folks who started wearing one of those yellow Lance Armstrong "Livestrong" bracelets. Knowing my buddy's Christian standards, but also knowing that we two have differed numerous times in matters that lacked clear biblical doctrine, I decide to press him on the issue...

Should a Christian actively support a 'wholly' secular (pardon the pun), and in this case, avowedly atheistically founded and run organization, such as the Lance Armstrong Foundation?

I will be the first congratulate him on his record setting wins in the Tour de Lance. He's one of the premiere athletes of our time. But should Christians give this cancer surviving, race winning celebrity a 'free pass' as far as our own personal responsibility to the Gospel goes? Does the good the Foundation does, outweigh his enmity towards Jesus Christ?

First, take a look on what he wrote about what he believes:

"Quite simply, I believed I had a responsibility to be a good person, and that meant fair, honest, hardworking, and honorable. If I did that, if I was good to my family, true to my friends, if I gave back to my community or to some cause, if I wasn't a liar, a cheat, or a thief, then I believed that should be enough. At the end of the day, if there was indeed some Body or presence standing there to judge me, I hoped I would be judged on whether I had lived a true life, not on whether I believed in a certain book, or whether I'd been baptized. If there was indeed a God at the end of my days, I hoped he didn't say, "But you were never a Christian, so you're going the other way from heaven." If so, I was going to reply, "You know what? You're right. Fine." ...for more.

Now take a look for a moment if you will- What message does HIS Foundation send its patients? Surely it is not one with a biblical perspective, at the very least. Armstrong has made it quite clear that he does not believe God healed him of cancer, but the kind folks at Brystol-Meyer Squibbs. And no doubt he preaches that belief at Livestrong. Their website boast of giving cancer patients the tools to "live life on their own terms". That seems quite a bit different from the bible calling believers to live their lives on God's terms.

But what is a believer to do? Only seek cancer treatment and help from 'certified' Christian health professionals? Effectively inculcate themselves from unbelieving health care providers? Upon pondering this point, it is striking, that the first place that folks go when they are sick in the bible is to the Lord, and His servants.
2 Samuel 12:15-16, 1 Kings 14:1-3, Matthew 4:24, Mark 6:55, Acts 5:15, Acts 28:8, etc.

My point is not to convert myself or anyone else to the Christian Science view of medicine (far from it), nor to cause undue grief to those seeking the best cancer treatment available -- it is just to ask you to look past the catchy slogan, and flashy rubber bracelet to the man, the foundation, and the theology that they are most definitely preaching to the world; and remember that GOD is the one who heals. He is the Great Physician, and let us not forget it. Does he use doctors? Of course! Medicine? Amen! But HE wills it...not Lance Armstrong, or anyone else for that matter.

I'll leave you with a few questions:
How much "good" does one have to do to forego a personal belief in Jesus Christ?
And who are WE to give our "rubber" stamp of approval?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home