Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Happy Reformation Day!!!

On this day, in the year 1517, a pious and Augustinian monk named Martin Luther nailed his famous 95 Theses onto the door of the Wittenberg church. Every pound of the hammer sent ripples through Christendom, and put Luther at odds with the two most powerful men in the world - the pope in Rome, and standing before Charles V. Accused of heresy, he was ordered to recant for the peace and safety of the temporal order. But finally, after long days of struggle with God and his own conscience he said,
"Since your majesty and your lordships desire a simple reply, I will answer without horns and without teeth. Unless I am convicted by Scripture or plain reason, I do not accept the authority of popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other. My conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot, and I will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand, I can do no other. God help me. Amen."


If that don't make your spine tingle, you need to check your pulse.
Happy Reformation Day!

-BH

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We watched Luther at the house yesterday in memory of the Reformation. Spine-tingling indeed. Happy belated Ref. day :)

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home