Saturday, November 18, 2006

The Church

I'm reading an interesting book right now that is really challenging me on my perspective on "the Church." So what is the Church? I think we really all have the idea of a building with a steeple built into our minds, but I think I can say for certainty that the mandate for a steeple is not in the Bible. And the idea of Church being a building- well, it's really not there either. So what does the Bible say? We are the Church.

Now, I'm not saying that you shouldn't partake in the Church. I think that Church in the traditional sense is probably essential for most people to grow in their faith. But how is this for a though: when ever you are out with some of your other buddies out on Northgate, you're still the Church... so how are people seeing you?

So where am I going with this. Gandhi said, "You must be the change you want to see in the world." Now, there is no such thing as the "perfect Church." A church building is made up of imperfect people, and we are all sinners. How could you expect it to be? But rather than chasing after an illusion- finding the perfect church, we should focus on BEING the perfect Church. And if a generation of people take that philosophy, of truly being radical in living out their lives rather than waiting for "the church" to take care of everything, well, the Church would be embracing the lifestyle that I believe is the model of the New Testament.

The early Church was focused on people, on passion, and on the pursuit of a relationship with Jesus and proselytizing that to others. That needs to be our job, wherever that leads us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home