Wednesday, November 29, 2006

A Vendetta Against Compromise


Do you ever get the feeling that sinners must be deaf, dumb, blind, and stupid to continue in their sin? I do.

All the time.

But you know what fascinates me even more? It's those Christians who know their sin, and shortcomings; but turn a complacent eye toward them, and would rather flirt with the darkness than stand fully in the light of the Christian life. I mean, seriously, I know folks who seem like their entire life is about seeing how much of the world they can cram into the Christian life.

How much bad language can I use.....and still be called a Christian?
How many tasteless movies can I watch.....and still be called a Christian?
How immodest can my clothes be.....and still be called a Christian?
How little can I study the Word.....and still be called a Christian?
How little can I go to church....and still be called a Christian?
How much can I party and drink.....and still be called a Christian?
How bad can my life look from the outside....and still be called a Christian?

It seems that the order of the day is "compromise, with a side of Christianity, please". And it irks me to no end. And then to top it off, I catch myself compromising too! Agh! Woe is me! I am undone! What ever happened to being "sanctified", being set apart?

"Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul" - 1 Peter 2:11

We're NOT content being strangers and pilgrims. Would we much rather be friends with the world, than to be looked upon as "straight-laced strangers". I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "College is the time to get all the 'fun' out of your system". Do what!? Are we willing to yield an entire season of our life unto Satan and his minions for the false hope of 'getting it our of our system'?! God forbid.

"Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you" - 1 Peter 4:4

Spiritual oddities! That's what we are called too! Strangers to the world and it's pleasures. Lost people should look at us and think it odd, that WE DO NOT RUN WITH THEM! Do they look at you as just another one of the guys or girls? I mean, we should be ignorant of Satan's devices, not familiar with every nook and cranny of them.

"I want you to be wise as to what is good and innocent as to what is evil." - Romans 16:19

And our Christian witness! Oh, what of that?! We don't claim the name of Christ without having the responsibility to reflect His image to the world. Did Jesus eat with sinners? You bet he did! And I praise God for it, because we are those sinners whom Christ dines with. But Christ AFFECTED those sinners, they didn't INFECT Him. Do you see the difference? I mean, we take the knowledge of an ensured eternal salvation - and our own personal relationship with Christ - and walk into a girl's apartment at 9pm, and then don't walk out until 8 in the morning - and expect the world to assume the best!

"Abstain from all appearance of evil." - 1 Thessalonians 5:22

You are not representing yourself any more. You are representing your Lord. My Lord. So forgive me for having a vendetta against compromise, but it's killing our witness!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you ever get the feeling that Christians are deaf, dumb, blind, and stupid... I do. How can you call Jesus Lord and not do what he says to do. You can do a lot of works in His name but yet say 'no Lord!' And He ceases to be your Lord. One answer allows Him to continually be your Lord... "Yes."

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and... With a conflict between two kingdoms, we can actually sit in church and love on our God and Him love on us while we destroy His kingdom through our personal sin, selfishness, and ambition (Matthew 6:30-34). An amazing thing happens when we destroy His kingdom by our words, actions, or attitudes... or selfish ambitions.. when it's not our kingdom at all. It's His. Our words as James says, are more powerful than a ships rudder especially when it's viewed against our Lord's kingdom. EVERYone, everyone.. is imperfect. That's why we follow the perfect one. Let's pull our plank out so that we cans see our brother's speck. Sinners act like sinners..

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home