Sunday, July 16, 2006

Spare The Milk Carton...

That's right. Save that little 5x3 photo for some other missing person...cause I'm back!

Back from where, you may ask? Well, I must admit, I haven't really been anywhere. I seemed to have hit one of those writer's blocks a few weeks ago, and am just now shaking it.

Such A Trip:
This morning I got back from a youth retreat with one of the local churches. We went out to a little place about 25 miles West of Lampasas, with a spring fed creek, massive pecan trees, huge catfish, starry nights, homecooked meals, and a good sense of wilderness. We didn't really have a structured agenda for the kids, just hangout, fellowship, and make it for the lesson on Sunday morning. It was a 'recharger' for me and the kids. Looking at all the beauty out there made me glad I was from Texas, but also made me stand in awe that the landscape was so pristine and breathtaking, even after the Fall! Genesis 3:17 "...cursed is the ground for thy sake..."
Wow! So just think how perfectly and wonderfully made the earth was in the beginning! Glory be to God!

Now Reading:
I recently bought John Piper's book, "The Pleasures of God". Ironically, I'm at the chapter where Piper is talking about the pleasure of God in creation. Coincidence...? I think not. All in all, I have enjoyed the book so far. It is a much deeper read than I anticipated, which makes me like it even more, but does slow down my reading. Piper seems to be a fan of the footnote, which spells trouble for my reading and my wallet. He quotes from a number of other sources that sound like a good read as well, so I feel inclined to mark them down on my "To Get" list from amazon.com.

Thus Saith the Lord:
Tonight, my preacher preached on Jeremiah 6:16, which says: "Thus saith the Lord, Stand ye in the ways, and see, and ask for the old paths, where is the good way, and walk therein, and ye shall find rest for your souls. But they said, We will not walk therein." Immediately the message struck a chord in my heart. For some reason or another, I can't explain it, I have always sought the "old paths". Not that I have always sought the Lord, that is not what I am saying. But once I met the Savior, I was immediately drawn to the fathers of our faith, the "old paths", the "good way". Those old hymns that all your grandparents still sing...I love them! I can't get enough of old recordings of various evangelist from SermonAudio.com and other sites. Writers like Spurgeon, Luther, Edwards, Wesley, Whitefield, and others speak to me of faith, and preserverence of the saints; something that many modern day preachers glaze over for the more popular self-help 'Prosperity Gospel'. These newbies preach that God wants you to be happy, the "old paths" say that God wants you to be Holy. Oh that we may ask for the old paths, where the good way is, and walk in it! Amen?

Small World:
Just to show once again, what a small world it is (but really, just saying how glorious it is that God is still on the Throne!), I've got a connection to make. This evening I was explaining to my preacher where I went to church when I was up in College Station. I told him I went to Central, and he immediately said, "Yeah, Bro. Osborne, right?" I was a little surprised he knew the preacher by name, but still wanting to brag a little on what the Lord was doing there, I said, "Yeah, He's a preachin' fool, I tell you what." Nodding his head in agreement, my preacher look at me and said, "I know, that's why we've got him scheduled for a revival this fall." Ain't that something? It was one of those "confirmation" moments right there. You know what I'm talking about? Those times when God removes all possibility of chance, and happenstance, and says, "My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please. What I have said, that will I bring about; what I have planned, that will I do." - Isaiah 46:10-11. Ain't it comforting to know that the Lord knows who's preachin' His Word, and who's prostituting it for the applause of men. He said His Word will not return to him void, and I believe Him! Hallelujah!

Worth Your Time:
If you're just cruisin' around the ole net today, and need a few pit stops, check out:

Fillup

The Pyromaniacs

Pastor Way

Courtside (Fillup's wife...lol)

The Posse:
As for my fellow bloggers, allow me a few days to shame them into posting, so that we can get this "journey" rolling again. Sound like a deal?

Carry On,
Bro. Hank

1 Comments:

Blogger Brotherhank said...

me! lol. i've been busy organizing a search party for the rest of y'all! good to have you back...

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home