Monday, September 11, 2006

There's no 'I' in 'me'

(link to above A-Team pic found here)


A couple of things before we start in.. Hank has really been digging up some gems as of late so I hope everyone else has gotten as much out of them as I have. Thanks for continually sharing what the Lord is showing you; all those things lost from 'hoary antiquity' as Spurgeon would call it. The post about love was right on and something we need to understand as we work out our salvation.

There are a couple of things I really want to get to but I might spread them out in a couple of posts; we'll see..


We've all heard the saying "there's no 'I' in T-E-A-M" right? The idea is that as participants on a team we are supposed to do what is in the best interest of the team and not in the best interest of ourselves. In fact, often what is in the best interest of the team will be in our best interest as well. I was watching ESPN a couple weeks ago during hurricane Katrina remembrance week and they were telling the story of one of last years Lousiana state champion basketball teams. The team was made up of guys from several different schools who had been displaced by the storm but because of the situation they were allowed to play as one team. Of course at first these players did not get along very well at all. Many had been stars at their respective schools and were unwilling to relinquish that role here. One player in particular believed himself to be of much greater value than the team and took it upon himself to do everything. The coach did a very interesting thing one day in practice. He gave that young man the ball and then had him play 1 on 5 against the rest of the team. The coach made his point. Up to then his stats were great but his team had been losing. After that lesson the team united and they went on to win the state championship (anyone want to speculate on how long it will be 'til they make a movie out of that one?). Obviously it was in that players best interests to play team basketball because in so doing they won the championship and he had a great season.

You can pick that moral out of just about every sports movie ( Remember the Titans, The Mighty Ducks, Finding Forrester, etc.). The clear truth is that what is best for the team is also, in most cases, best for you. The maxim 'there's no 'I' in 'team' ' is really a maxim against selfishness. Being selfish is rarely in one's long term best interest. It may work for a while, but eventually it will catch up with you for many reasons, but that's a rabbit trail.. back to the path.

Where could this truth be more important than in application of the kingdom life? I had a long post a week or so ago about our 'self' and in it I stated the importance of our 'selves' passing from memory. I want to continue that discussion for a moment...

As Christians we have been saved by the grace of God for the purpose of glorifying Him. There are good works He has prepared in advance for us to do, He knows the plans He has for His kingdom, He directs our steps, He guides us in the path of righteousness, He provides for our physical needs and our spiritual, emotional, intellectual, et. al. needs, He calls us for a purpose and works all things for our good and His glory. He trains us, He disciplines us, He instructs us, He prepares us. We are like a student enrolled in a lifelong course of training under the greatest instructor in and outside the universe. I say these things to stress the idea that we are God's creation, we are His servants, we are to seek His will, we are to be led by Him. Could I say that in a few more ways? This is God's universe, this is God's redemptive plan, this is God's eternal plan, this is God's restorative plan, this is God's perfect plan, this is God's kingdom. I am God's child by some miracle of grace called salvation..

I say ALL of that to reinforce the idea that my 'self' in all its nobility and grace and wonder (we do think that about ourselves sometimes don't we) and in all it's rottenness and wickedness and paltriness (apparent to a candid observer) has no place in the service of God. Ask yourself this question as I ask myself the same: What can I add to God?

I believe we often, very genuinely, very honestly, very intentionally go about doing God's work without God. If that's the case, then let's do some simple math:

God's work - God = work

Hmm.. well, that's not really that appealing is it... That's not what we were thinking when we heard the yoke was easy and the burden light. The God we worship is not a bedridden invalid. He is the Sovereign Lord of the universe. But so many people burn out, so many people leave the church, so many people get worn out serving and they implode. Why? Because it's their work, not God's work. Sure, the actions are often the same, but the root is completely different; it springs from a different place. I could duct tape apples to a dead apple tree and it wouldn't make the tree come back to life. Or I could tape apples in an orange tree and it wouldn't make the orange tree bear apples. Two things there:

1. Our work, our ministry, will cause us to implode and literally break down if it is not a product of God's work in our lives

2. If God is calling me to serve in a particular area, but I don't feel it's really spiritual enough or good enough for me so I do something 'bigger and better' it will not have the powerful impact I intended. If I am not a pastor but I decide I want to pastor, I will still not be a pastor. If I'm a businessman but I decide I want to be an astronaut, I am not an astronaut. I could pass it off for a while, but when I actually have to do something the truth will come out.

Many people, myself included, are in a rush to do awesome things for the kingdom of God. We are in a rush to mature, in a rush to be more Christlike, in a rush to know more, in a rush for the church to 'be the church' (whatever that means), in a rush for things to change, and that's great. We need to live life urgently because it's short, it's a vapor and I understand that. But at the same time, what happens when the apprentice decides he knows what's best? What happens when the sword bearer for the great knight decides, if he can carry the sword, he can also wield it? What happens? In a great act of valor and courage, the camera frames slow, the valiant young man (or woman) rushes out into battle, they raise the sword, they raise a yell and... they get killed. As almost an afterthought or accidental strike by the blade of an experience foe, they get leveled. All that training, all that time, and now.. broken.. dead. That's not what's best for the team. That's not what's best for the kingdom of God, it's not what's best for the church and it certainly isn't what's best for you (for me). Our passion must be towards God and not for God. I was watching a video from the resurgence conference
by Dr. Tim Keller and he said a major problem with Christians is this:

We base our Justification on our Sanctification meaning we live with the mistaken notion that:



-we are accepted because we obey, instead of
-we obey because we are accepted


If I may speak so boldly as to say what is in the Lord's interest and what is not, then I tell you: it is not in the best interest of the Lord for his leaders in training to take off their training wheels and ride off the precipice. We should press into the kingdom, into the Lord, being passionate about Him and then, at the appointed time, He will send us out. In the meantime let us endeavor to be faithful as David was while in the territory of the Philistines, while though waiting for the Lord to raise him up as king, did not sit idly but rather served and expanded the Lord's kingdom in whatever ways the Lord allowed him. Let us be eternally thankful there is an 'I' in 'CHRIST.'

p.s. I in no means mean to imply that God's work is not 'work.' Half of the equation is still work and that means trying and difficult, but it is also backed by the inexhaustible resources of God.

In the Perfector of our Faith,

EP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home