Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Want to be the next Dr. Phil??



So I seem to be giving a lot of relationship advice lately. It seems pretty much everyone I know that is in a relationship is either a) getting engaged or b) breaking up. In just the past week, I have had several friends in the latter category. As such, I've found myself being asked to give relationship advice, life advice, an inspiring message, etc. I've tried to keep the advice as Biblically based as I can and take as little credit as I can, but even I am aware of my shortcomings, which are so numerous it's only through the Grace of God that any good may come out of the ramblings that come out of my mouth as advice. But I stumbled across the blog of a Godly man I used to go to Church with back in high school and he seemed to be on a similar page. Here is what he had to say about it based on scripture from Matthew 3.

When I started doing counseling I was overcome with a sense of unworthiness. I thought: "Man, I have serious issues myself, but you are coming to me to help you fix yours?" Looking back on it, I think that sense of unworthiness may have been my best attribute as a counselor. It does not seem to help people when you give them all the answers. May be we all wish we could have Dr. Phil give us the answer to our problems, but in practice it does not seem to work.

John the Baptist was not going around giving out answers. Instead, he was taking confessions and asking people to repent before God. He knew that he was not worthy to give out answers, but that God had sent his Son to give us answers.

I have been around a little while and I have learned a few things about life. God has taught me my own lessons, which may be entirely different from someone else's lessons. Because of only learning my lessons, I am not really worthy to tell you what God has in store for you. But I can tell you that God has the answers; he is the teacher.


So while it may not be what you want to hear in the short run, trust that God has the answers revealed to you in His word and through quiet time in communion with Him. So stop wasting your time with Dr. Phil, Oprah, Dr. Laura or whatever Radio/TV personality captures your attention the most and be captivated by the One who gave His life up for you, to reconcile you to Himself, so that He could have a relationship with us. And that, my friends, means advice and a whole lot more.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brotherhank said...

"So stop wasting your time with Dr. Phil, Oprah, Dr. Laura or whatever Radio/TV personality captures your attention the most and be captivated by the One who gave His life up for you, to reconcile you to Himself, so that He could have a relationship with us."

Amen! "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." Isa. 9:6

Thank you EP for your candidness - I pray we all would have a bit more of it ourselves...

9:41 AM  
Blogger Brotherhank said...

lol. i totally did not even see that one...

chalk that one up to my total obliviousness to all things cyberspace...my apologies...

11:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home